Monday, September 12, 2011

Shaping up with Ski Conditioning

A summer full of lazy days and inactivity has been rearing its ugly head as my body moans from my ski conditioning class. Sprinting forwards and backwards, high knee sprints, and but kick sprints.  Partnering up, and using an inner tube around my waist, I run the same sprints with my partner holding me back. 

The class is only taught at the U during the fall semester, two half-semester classes.  Last year I attended the same class on Mondays and Wednesdays, but only during the last half of the semester. Feeling that I could use a longer and more rigorous experience I decided to take both half-semester classes.

Health and athletic department grad students teach the conditioning classes at the U.  This provides students who attend the classes to be a part of new trends in collegiate sport training.  Take this class for example; the type of ski conditioning exercises we’re learning fits into a training regiment called Plyometrics. Also known as "plyos" it is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, providing explosiveness for a variety of sport-specific activities.

You can find more details about Plyometrics at the following link:



3 comments:

  1. So after reading a bit, I noticed that you take preparing for the ski season very seriously. Which leads me to wonder what kind of skiing you do. Considering that you seem to be doing some serious conditioning that makes me think that you are on a ski team and take skiing very seriously. If so are we going to see some blog posts detailing the process of being on a ski team. Even if you aren't on a team, I guess I can count on you to point out all the best powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that the U has classes like this. I don't much care for snow, but i have always wanted to learn to be a better skier. Plyometrics are insanely hard work, but they can get you trained for almost anything.

    ReplyDelete